71 responses

1. Mel Isherwood
    01/19/2016

This is wonderful news. I will keep this in mind and mention to my union rep the next time a colleague makes an insensitive remark or “joke” at my expense.

• Patty
      01/20/2016

I think this is great news, but let’s not get all PC about this, too, ok? I’m for throwing PC (political correctness) out the window. People are really too sensitive about pretty much everything anymore.

• Queade Di Ilio
        01/21/2016

Until you are at the receiving g end of the jokes, ridicule and or discrimination.

• A
        01/22/2016

When it comes to animal and human rights, people are allowed to be “sensitive”.

• VeganJim
      01/25/2016

A joke at your expense? Really? Are people really that sensitive these days?

• cici
        01/25/2016

people are . People need to show each other a little respect . I do not like being teased . Some people have a disability that makes it harder to also cope with . People do have feelings .

• AD
        05/28/2016

Grow a pair!

2. Glen Giroux
    01/20/2016

The schools still force my daughter to take the cheese and pepperoni off the pizza – sighting they don’t do vege or vegan pizzas for kids

• jello2871
      01/20/2016

Pack her a decent lunch you gigantic pussy

• erin
        02/11/2016

Jello2871 why should vegans be forced to pack a lunch, when meat eaters don’t ?

• Trevor
        03/09/2016

I was a very fussy eater when I went to school and I never ate a school meal. No one “forced” me to take a packed lunch but I chose to becaue I didn’t like the food at school. That’s the answer! Lots of non-vegetarians eat packed lunches.

• Bloublou
        04/27/2016

Trevor, non-vegetarians have choice. Vegetarians don’t. Allooo?

• Marvin Meeker
      01/21/2016

I was fortunate enough to go to a school that was all vegetarian, in the 60’s no less. That being said, we usually packed a lunch anyway.

• pattithehuman
      01/21/2016

Perhaps show them this article? Or contact Animal Justice Canada about what you can do to ensure she gets a proper meal.

• VeganJim
      01/25/2016

That really is a disgrace!!! How dare the school for not having a vegan menu for your child!!!!!!!! This just makes my blood boil! Do you mind if I blog about this issue?

• cici
        01/25/2016

I totally agree with you on this one , right on !

• Devin Rey
        02/12/2016

Wtf is wrong with you trolls on here? I cant tell if you are being sarcastic? seem like an asshole to me.

3. Diego

Great News

4. Rachel
    01/20/2016

This is great, I wish they would do that here in the US. People don’t realize just how much vegans are discriminated against. For example, McDonald’s (I think it was them) made a ‘help line’ for vegetarians and vegans who couldn’t resist their bacon sandwiches, essentially making fun and mocking us for our beliefs. Like having compassion is a bad thing these days. No hospitals, schools, prisons, etc have vegan or vegetarian options and they should just because of the health benefits alone. I shake my head in shame at the human race when I see a McDonald’s in a hospital.

5. TC
    01/20/2016

forcing a diner to change it’s menu is wrong. what’s next, segregated eating areas, two kitchens? Nobody is forcing you to eat meat, so what is the problem? Plants have feelings too, proven scientifically, just play them music. you are still eating a living thing. some people are not happy unless they are complaining

• Daniel
      01/20/2016

TC, plants having feeling has not been proven scientifically. Responses are not the same as sentience. My hair stands on end when I’m scared. That doesn’t mean my hair is conscious. Do the research. And restaurants are not being forced to do anything. It refers to places that provide food, such as schools, jails, government buildings, etc., where people (employees, students, inmates, etc.) have to be.

• Brain on Hugs
        01/21/2016

The meat industry is forced upon everyone, at the expense of the environment, our health, and our moral consistency. There is no need to cover all vegetables, fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds in animal flesh and fluids when millions of people are repulsed at the idea of doing so. Nobody is forcing you not to eat dogs or horses either, so isn’t it nice that you can have that choice accommodated without hassle?

PS – Be sure to tell firefighters they should rescue houseplants and pets without distinction because plants have feelings too and are living things. They will laugh at you and likely be quite offended. But if this argument is valid/consistent you will use it in all applicable situations, not just when it serves your behaviors.

• Jessixalexan
        01/23/2016

Bravo! I screenshot your reply so I can use it myself haha. Love the excuses people come up with to make themselves feel better ” plants have feelings too ” wahh wahh… Well if you care for the plants so much why not the animals?

• Sarah
      01/20/2016

TC, by the same token, requiring a City to provide parking space for handicapped citizens is wrong, requiring a university to enroll minorities is wrong, requiring an employer not to discriminate against gay citizens is wrong… Vegans have to eat too so not providing any options for vegans in a restaurant menu is discrimination. Oh and the good old “plants have feelings too argument”. I will agree with you — that plants are just like animals– when I see a lettuce screaming in pain and fighting to save its life till its last breadth when you attack it with a knife to slash its throat. Oh one more thing. When you cut a lettuce, the root stays and can grow to complete its life cycle. When you slash the leg of a lamb to make lamb stew, the lamb dies never to grow again.

• Puzuma
        01/21/2016

Your argument is idiotic. Being handicap or a minority is NOT a choice. Being vegetarian/vegan IS.

Might be a better idea for the government to regulate veganism like they do tobacco.

“I’m a sixth level vegan. I don’t eat anything that casts a shadow.”

• Brain on Hugs
        01/21/2016

Not eating dogs and horses is also a choice. Isn’t it wonderful to have that choice accommodated without hassle or harassment? Now we can all feel that way. There is no need to include animal flesh and fluids in food at all, and continuing to cover all food options with them is not logical or inclusive.

• pattithehuman
      01/21/2016

This ruling says nothing about “forcing a diner” to do anything. It is primarily about public institutions and workplaces not discriminating against or excluding people on the basis of their ethical veganism.

Hospitals and schools need to provide adequate food to vegans, students can opt out of dissection, workers can opt out of animal-based uniforms, etc.

It’s the same idea as having certain provisions for people on the basis of religion or ability: eg. providing a Kosher meal, allowing variations in workplace attire, allowing opting out of practices that conflict with beliefs, holding events in places that are accessible, etc.

• Liz
      01/25/2016

Plants are living organisms, absolutely. Although, they do not have nervous systems connected to a brain. Therefore they are not sentient.

What do you call a brain dead person in a hospital that survives solely on machines? A vegetable. Why do you mow your lawn without an ounce of guilt but running over a dog with your car pains you? Because only one can feel pain. One is sentient and the other is not. I have already given you the science and this video proves that.

Vegans harm/consume/kill less plants directly, than omnivores do indirectly. The animals (whom are sentient and smarter than your dog by the way) eat all of those plants to grow big and strong for you to get a little bit of meat. So since you seem to care so much about plant’s rights, you should really consider veganism.

Lastly, “plant neuroscience” is a metaphor, even plant scientists agree. “Plant neuroscience” is stated because it is a way for us to grasp why plants react to their surroundings. They do react to chemicals, gravity, light, moisture, infections, temperature, oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations, parasite infestation, disease, physical disruption, sound,and touch. This is all due to signal responses, photo-sensitive compounds, hormones, chemicals, etc.

If you’d like me to dive deeper into the science, I can. I am a microbiology major, I do know a thing or two. Bottom line, I fight for the rights of sentient beings. It is like you are trying to “catch” me, as well as all other vegans in some sort of a “gotcha! you’re wrong moment” when all of this has been discussed and debated over and over.

The science backs us up repeatedly. There is no evidence for structures such as neurons, synapses or a brain in plants. Therefore, no sentience. While plants are very fascinating, I will never yell at someone for kicking a tree over kicking a dog. If you would, well, that’s your issue.

6. Michele

Bravo!

7. m
    01/20/2016

I guess then if you are vegan – you cannot become a surgeon – you will be dissecting a human.

• Queade Di Ilio
      01/21/2016

Are you serious? Just what do you think a vegan is? Talk about lack of research. Try Google

• Queade Di Ilio
      01/21/2016

Making students dissect an animal is not the same as surgery. Consider how each came under the knife.

8. Christine
    01/20/2016

I think it’s great that vegan meals will be available in hospitals and schools. However, sometimes dissection for a program of study is very important. I can support high school students not wanting to participate, but for more advanced education (vet school for example) becoming familiar with the inner workings of the critters you want to work with is important for your future job.

• Queade Di Ilio
      01/21/2016

Because there are no better learning tools in this day and age… really? You think you still have to kill, then dissect to learn anatomy and physiology? I have my BSc in biology and I can tell you this is not so.

9. Rachel
    01/20/2016

Great news especially for moms that want kids to have healthy lunches.

• Dale Walters
      01/20/2016

As I have stated many times before to those who ask me……. Why don,t I eat meat…..the simple answer is….. There is absolutely no reason to kill and eat the animals…none…..we are still living in primitive times…

• Mac
        01/26/2016

No reason? How bout it taste good.

• Rush
        02/07/2016

Everything dies. It’s a fact. Animals don’t fade off into the sunset. So die feeding us, or die ripped apart by a predator. Of course you want these animals extinct since a domestic animal cannot survive in the wild.
        So you are making a moral choice that an animal does not deserve a life, because you don’t like its manner of death (it will die). So exterminate it.
        Hmmm, wipe out the planet and nothing with die ever again! Good idea.
        Our First Nations are closer to our environment that the vegan movement. They put holes in the heels of a baby’s first leather moccasins so the spirit passes through the the soft spot in the head and connects through their heels to the earth.
        We are animals and predators and I fear the vegans will allow the world to be devoid of life. No respect for the beauty of eating the life force from another fellow animals. Sterile environments, drones working in lifeless environments. No dogs (that’s bad according to PETA, even though we conquered the Neanderthals with them).
        Instead, polyester clothes, polluting the environment. Nature is not us. We are above animals, superior. We deny ourselves for this ‘idea’ we are better than them, more pure, because we don’t eat meat. We still poop but I am sure the brain trust will be trying to stop that annoying animal habit too.

• Patricia
        02/20/2016

There is a difference in natural born animals and those mass produced and raised in factory farms where they are horribly treated. I suggest you read up on the treatment and cruelty these living beings endure. It’s not like in nature. You are ignorant

10. Pat brophy
    01/21/2016

Unfortunately people are ignorant to the fact that when they eat a dead animal it rots in their stomach for three days. We were not supposed to eat meat do the research. Plants do not have feelings do the research. People live to eat don’t eat to live. Too much emphasis is put on food. Double size this double size that why do you think our society is overweight and people that eat meat find it too hard to give it up.

• Brian
      01/21/2016

please quote your source for this allegation

• VeganJim
      01/25/2016

This is most idiotic thing Ive read this week. If meat rots in your stomach, surely veg does too…..

11. Brian
    01/21/2016

now can someone please tell the vegans that not being vegan is also a right ? I see vegans attacking non vegans much more often than the other way around

• Marvin Meeker
      01/21/2016

That is a crying shame. Militant vegans sometimes don’t get that they contradict themselves. As a lifelong vegetarian my attitude is very much ‘live and let live’ and I can sympathize.

• Robin Ottoson
        02/20/2016

Killing and using other beings as food or for commodities, IS NOT and SHOULD NOT be a right. All of you “Live and let live”-people are forgetting the beings vegans are standing up and fighting for. Vegans are not contradicting themselves, people who say “live and let live” while killing/using other beings are.

12. Kaeli
    01/21/2016

And now to turn all “Zoo’s” and into animal sanctuaries.

Slowly but surely this bill will be changed from Human Rights to include Animal Rights.

• Queade Di Ilio

We can only hope!

13. Marvin Meeker
    01/21/2016

I am 59 years old, a vegetarian all my life, being fortunate enough to grow up in a vegetarian family. A law like this might be convenient for me, but that doesn’t make it right. I have gotten along just fine, knowing where I could go to eat and where I couldn’t. I imagine schools and hospitals should already be prepared for divergent life and dietary styles, but restaurants are another matter. Even 20 years ago when certain popular places did not yet have garden patties, there were plenty of viable options. A good example would be a sushi bar. Forcing them to accommodate a dietary style that just doesn’t fit into their standard fare will increase their cost of operation, forcing them to raise their prices. Of course, Liberals couldn’t care less about that, since it is an obstacle to their agenda.

• Mac
      01/26/2016

Not to worry Marvin.

I doubt that this ruling will extend that far. It will apply more to employment standards situations. For example an employer will now have to accommodate a vegan employee who find it morally unacceptable to wear leather or fur.

Restaurants are not required to carry kosher options, and this is not deemed a violation of human rights under religion.

14. Deborah
    01/21/2016

There are ways to dissect frogs etc. on the computer and a real animal is not required. It is a positive that hospitals provide vegan meals to patients who are Vegan. Patients are there to recover and gain strength with their health and what better way than to nourish someone with compassionate plant based eating, which meets all of our needs. 🙂

15. Lorrie
    01/21/2016

First of all, those that do not know or understand the reasons behind veganism should not have anything to say. If I am a compassionate human being and can not bring myself to cause pain and suffering to another LIVING creature, then for me it is not a choice. If you can kill and cause suffering, then according to the current law you are not prevented from doing so, so why would you care if vegan food is provided for a compassionate child in school or sick person in a hospital? HONESTLY, why on earth does it even effect you?

• Josie
      01/22/2016

Really it does not affect us. I agree with the bill by the way. However, I do not agree with your argument that we should not have a say and it does not affect us. Hear is a good example. At work we have a $5 a person budget to get lunch for everyone. We order food in bulk to save money. We must order a vegan option for the two people in the office. However you must order min of 4 of each kind of dish. So to give the vegan people options we have to order 8 vegan people’s worth of food for only 2 people eating it. We need to ensure that they get their food before everyone else to prevent cross contamination. Usually the vegan food is what is left for two reasons. Either others do not like that food OR they don’t want to eat it so that there is enough food for the vegans (even if we tell others they can eat it). PS we did this BEFORE the law because it is the RIGHT thing to do. But do not pull the line that is does not affect others. Here is an example for a hospital. They get a small small budget per day per person for food. It is something like $10 for the whole day. A vegan meal will cost more because they will have to order special items they do not carry normally so a vegan meal will be lets say $12. Not much more. However they will have to remove items from the other meal types to make the budget balance. PS i think this is the RIGHT thing to do. However again, this will affect everyone. Look outside of the little box of your world to realize we all affect each other.

16. Verity
    01/21/2016

Is this real or some joke? Comparing this to religion as a right is like comparing the Crusades to a peace march..

• cici
      01/25/2016

Are you a joke ? How is this anything like the Crusades ? People are vegetarians for ethical reasons , and we deserve respect for our beliefs as much as you do.

17. Jess
    01/21/2016

I can’t believe what I’ve just read by ‘m’. Are surgeons cruelly farming humans, killing them and dissecting them for dinner?

18. Matt
    01/21/2016

I hope I never have you as a surgeon if you think some sort of simulation or alternative to true hands-on technique is equatable. At least I hope you have a few dozen fools opt for your lack of experience before I would ever have to.

19. Lomedin
    01/22/2016

“students cannot be forced to dissect animals” – Hell, yeah!! Little by little, step by step, we are approaching a future where humans will look at any transgression upon non-human animals with disgust.

20. Planet X
    01/23/2016

Militant and vigilante vegans & some vegetarians are an absolute selfish, self serving, self-defeating joke. Feel so bad about what the real world and reality is all about huh?….then go seek professional psychiatric help or counselling to help you with your mental psychological problems and stop trying to take out your frustrations on normal, balanced, omnivorous humans. Some vegans are very smart and sensible about their life choices and the way they integrate with the majority of the human race, so my advice is not targeted at those good natured people, only to the dumb, rude and hypocritical vegans…a lot of them out there no doubt. Here is a line they use often…. “You meat eaters react to us vegans negatively to hide your obvious guilt”. Hee Hee….What a load of rubbish. It is the vegans and most vegetarians who actual feel very guilty ….that is why the majority of them switched over from meat eating etc. Go and sulk over the realization of your futility somewhere else and leave humans alone. If you vegans and vegetarians want to win over people with your views and arguments, treat all people with respect and tolerance and show that you are rational and reasonable in your views willing to engage in mature meaningful discussion, otherwise you are just going to be ignored. Omnivores will more likely respect and listen to intelligent and mature people, not dumb disrespectful vegans who give the ‘vegan-movement’ a bad name.
    Myself…I don’t mind killing and cooking animals for food. Better than eating then alive and raw (YUK!)… like Lions in the wild are able to do with ease. Most humans on planet earth are omnivores, been so for thousands of years. Vegans… lemme see, been around for a relatively short time, are mostly white, young females from affluent first world cities/societies. Not surprising. Like any cultural virus, veganism will slowly spread over the planet but unlikely to have much of an impact, as it’s demise is due to its lame premise.

21. Mohamed
    01/23/2016

Why isn’t Halal food a constitutional right? It’s not like vegans are oppressed anyway!!!

• David
      01/25/2016

No lo es porque es un genocidio que debe prohibirse. ¿Qué es eso de degollar a los animales conscientes? Es una vergüenza.

• Trish
      02/19/2016

@Mohamed All vegan food is halal so it will be suitable for Muslims too. Vegan food is suitable for all faiths.

22. Speciesismisalive
    01/27/2016

Vegans aren’t oppressed? Try being one and you’ll see. The image pollution alone of dead bodies everywhere. Ads for meat, leather, fur…on and on. Circuses, zoos. The reason for recognizing veganism as a belief/creed is NECESSARY from the evidence of discrimination and hatred witnessed here on this thread. Precisely why it is needed to be included as a human right,

23. Wrong
    02/17/2016

No they haven’t. The new definition _may_ include veganism.

24. Baconman
    02/19/2016

I ate a bacon cheeseburger to celebrate this for you guys! way to go! you did the thing!

25. Ashely
    02/23/2016

Vegans claim they are being ethical, but seriously you guys act like you are better than everyone else for your choice to not eat meat. I don’t care what you do with your life, but you obviously don’t understand what true discrimination is. So what people make jokes about your choice to not eat meat, are you really that sensitive that you must pass a law so no one can every make fun of your choices? Seriously time is better spent on things that matter, grow up, suck it up, and stop whining, this generation are all a bunch of cry babies. Things live, die, etc… circle of life, animals in the wild do it, but no one blames a lion for killing a zebra, but when people eat animals we are horrible? You claim people don’t need meat, but honestly that’s just an opinion like anything told to us. Stop forcing your views on meat eaters, ands don’t give me this crap you give a shit about the animals suffering, human existence causes animals to die, like when we cut down the rain forest to make more shopping malls, and the cars we drive pollute the environment,or over population, the list goes on. I don’t see you guys giving up your homes, or cars, or giving up having kids for the cute cuddly animals. You Vegans are hypocrites, and want to make people feel sorry for you, but thankfully no one gives a shit.

• Animal Rights
      08/10/2016

Have you seen what exactly happens in a slaughterhouse? That is pure torture, and to condone it is to approve of such inhumane behavior. We want to stop that, is it so wrong? Okay, things live and die. That doesn’t mean that they have to be skinned alive, boiled to death, and be constantly beaten and grind up alive for milk, eggs, and meat. If you really want all of those things, find another way to put them out of their misery. It’s ignorant people like you that tell us we whine and bitch. Of course! We have opened our eyes and we see what makes you too uncomfortable to face. We have compassion. We do attempt to help, so don’t assume we’re all like peta. Everyone should “give a shit”, Ashely, and frankly… you should too.

26. Lily
    02/23/2016

In all seriousness, why would Canada wastes its time with this, has Veganism become the new Scientology? It’s your choice to not eat meat or animal by products, but to pass a law regarding it, pertaining to discrimination is quite silly. If someone judges you for your food choice, shake it off, but don’t cry to legislation about it so you can make a law against it. There are people in this world who actually face discrimination( ie. black people, gays, lesbians, different religious denomination etc..) and it’s quite insulting to think vegans belong in that same category.

27. cath hurwood
    04/08/2016

this is not about packed lunches – it is about basic human rights – if someone is differently ‘abled’, elderly, has particular religious affiliations, etc. does not mean it’s free season to treat them differently than everyone else. So should it be with veganism!!

28. KatB
    04/15/2016

This is a step in the right direction. I wish the US would follow suit. Though there is a definite difference between just following a ‘plant-based diet” and being vegan (and the author should have refrained from using the former term as a synonym for vegan).

29. Sandie
    04/26/2016

Wow!!! Can’t wait for this to happen EVERYWHERE! <3 Thank you to those who fought for this to happen!

30. Liberty
    07/18/2016

Totally misleading guys.. sorry.. But in actuality, you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight, gain mu».secïÂl¿ If you start off at 300 lbs of fat, then maybe it will take you longer, but as long as you are on a strict workout schedule, your diet will not make too much of a difference once you speed up your metabolism. I for example can eat whatever I want and won’t gain a single pound. Thats part of the benefits of having fast metabolism. You are only partialy correct about diet.